[OSM-talk] combining nodes with ways

Frank Villaro-Dixon frank at villaro-dixon.eu
Thu Aug 11 12:22:00 UTC 2016

On 16-08-11 07:42:59, john whelan, wrote 4.7K characters saying:
>Not quite what I'm looking for.  The building is defined as an area but
>often has no address information, within the building are a number of nodes
>one or more of which has address information which is valid for the entire
>building.  So what I'm interested in is way to either move the tags to the
>building way or copy the tags to the building way or area.  The entire City
>has some 300,000 buildings so the volume to be done is fairly high and I'd
>like to do it in a fairly manual way using JOSM.
>
>Thanks John

Innocently, I find this approach very 'first normal form'[1] but not
really 'third normal form'[2].

To me, its not very clean/neat to duplicate a bunch of common attributes
(city, postal code, country) in nodes/ways if these can be retrieved via
other means (city's area for example).

Cheers,
Frank

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_normal_form
[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_normal_form

--
frank.villaro-dixon.eu       - PGP: 6F36914A
Envie d'électricité 100% verte ? Enercoop.fr