[OSM-talk] New Google Maps style - interesting cartographic innovation

Michał Brzozowski www.haxor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:37:16 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM, David Fisher <djfisher81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of interest, do you also take issue with the central point of my
> last post -- that "landuse=retail" polygons may be seen as a similar
> sort of concept to Google's beige areas?  (assuming such polygons are
> placed by mappers who have at least a passing knowledge of the area in
> question)

Sorry for plugging to the post ;) I'm afraid it won't work out well.
Most of the area in city centers (like areas that I linked to) is
covered with townhouses with retail/service tenants residing at the
ground level, rest of the building being residential. Therefore
landuse=residential is more appropriate and is mapped so.

The activity areas aren't merely about the usage itself, but, well,
the activity - i.e. concentration of interesting places and number of
people visiting them (or other similar popularity metric).

Michał