[OSM-talk] New Google Maps style - interesting cartographic innovation

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri Aug 12 07:48:01 UTC 2016

On 11.08.2016 20:37, MichaƂ Brzozowski wrote:
> The activity areas aren't merely about the usage itself, but, well,
> the activity - i.e. concentration of interesting places and number of
> people visiting them (or other similar popularity metric).
I saw recently a documentary about the phenomenon of a Pokemon game. A
retail shop owner said in this film that he pays money so that digital
creatures appear more often at the entrance of his shop. And people
(potential clients) are hanging around his shop because of it.

In principle the activity areas could be monetized in similar way by the
commercial maps. For example, a new shopping center wants to be shown on
the map as a high activity area, and it is ready to pay for it. Finally,
it may end up as a sort of an additional tax for retailers. If one does
not pay, the area will be shown on the map as abandoned, with no
activity whatsoever.

Another thought, - for some people an activity could be dancing, for
other shopping, or cycling, running, paragliding, diving, reading, etc.
It is hard to define what is interesting to people. For some it could be
a discotheque, or clothing & fashion shop, or a bar, for others a
stadium, a beach, a library, a cycling path, etc. /De gustibus non est
disputandum./

brgds
O.M.*
*