[OSM-talk] Mozambique's living streets

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 16:29:05 UTC 2016

> These kinds of streets are not only common in old town centers in Europe
> but can be found in any place in the world that hadn't been built with
> cars in mind, in shanty towns and also in modern (non-shanty) towns -
> especially in Asia.

+1

> Now, the alley tag mentioned is problematic because there is no clear
> definition what may still count as an alley and what should be a
> residential road already.

For me it's basically an alley if it's too narrow to be a residential
street. I'd expect the osm residential streets to be passable with a
"normal" car plus a pedestrian, otherwise it would be an alley  or a path,
or (if motor vehicles are not permitted), likely a footway or bikepath.
Also if the turns are too sharp (corners) for a car it would not be a
residential street. Typically the residential street will have width for 2
cars to pass, plus pedestrians on each side.

Cheers,
Martin