[OSM-talk] Key:Destination Abbreviations

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Sun Dec 18 22:27:03 UTC 2016

Hey Edwin

I read through the discussion on that page.

I think you focus too much on this 20:1 statistic. I too think this does
not really belong on the main page, but this is not really the issue.

I do not have the impression that anyone is using the 20:1 statistic as
an argument whether the destination name should be abbreviated or not.
The argument is that abbreviations in names being expanded for the DB is
the standard _in general_ and that the destination-value is just another
name(-like) tag.
Which I can totally follow. After all, where is the difference between a
sign on a freeway saying "Argument Ave" for the next exit and an actual
street sign at an intersection saying "Argument Ave"?

Why should this one sign not be abbreviated (street name) but that other
sign (freeway exit name) should?

As Carciofo said on the discussion page, I don't see the use case why
this consensus on names should be overturned for a specific tag.
You mentioned so that the actual sign could be displayed by the
navigation software. Well, it still can, the software just needs to know
how to abbreviate words, which is easy to do. The other way round,
automatically expanding an abbreviation (i.e. reading aloud) may be
ambiguous.

This is an old argument, it has been brought up years ago when talked
about whether to abbreviate names or not in general. That the same
argument applies to Key:destination again is a clear sign that
Kay:destination is in fact just another name tag.

Cheers
Tobias Zwick