[OSM-talk] Beware Pokemon users

Rod Bera rod at goarem.org
Tue Dec 27 23:50:58 UTC 2016

Hi Andy,

just to make myself understood:

improving the db by adding relevant features and tags is a good thing
for everyone, even though those doing so (literally everyone) do it in
places they chose with tags they're interested in.
To me this is working for the community. This does not degrade the
overall quality and accuracy of the OSM base. Rather the opposite. This
is exactly what OSM is about. The fact that the improvement is local and
thematic is unavoidable.

But this is a different story if my edits don't conform to ground truth.
It also has a name when done on purpose: vandalism.

Users who deliberately put incorrect or fictional stuff into OSM are
working for their benefits (catching more Pokemons), and their edits are
detrimental to the community.

regards,

Rod