[OSM-talk] Beware Pokemon users

moltonel moltonel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 17:01:14 UTC 2016

On 30 December 2016 14:45:54 GMT+00:00, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>I had a related theory that's pretty much what Google was using Ingress
>for
>last year.  Lost to the ethers is where I theorized in a group hangout
>for
>the local Ingress community that the POIs entered as portal suggestions
>was
>feeding Google Maps, which hit me the same day or the next day.
>
>https://plus.google.com/+PaulJohnsonTulsa/posts/bFdG66yMZV5

It's pretty clear that Google used Ingress to improve its map. Crowdsourced POI photos and a huge point cloud of pedestrian traffic. Even if that data was only collected as a side-effect, they'd have been pretty dumb not to tap into it. And that's actually one thing that kept me away from Ingress even though I liked the concept.

I've been thinking about good game concept that is entertaining in its own right and can be used directly/actively to improve the map. Something like Kort but for non-mapers. Something *I'd want to play*, but which allowed me to qa/improve osm during a game session. Probably have AR as the main/only play mode, have plenty of osm tags effect the game mechanics, and let player upload a note with photo if a real-world object doesn't yield the expected game object.  It's not easy. Any takers ? :)
--
Vincent Dp