[OSM-talk] Change in line barrier rendering coming up

nebulon42 nebulon42 at yandex.com
Sun Feb 14 22:06:42 UTC 2016

With the next update of openstreetmap-carto the line barrier catch-all
rendering is going to be removed. That means that no longer every value
of barrier=* is rendered on the standard layer but only the most used
(consolidated) values. For a list of tags and details see
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/1986.

This change (in the same way as other catch-all removals some time ago)
is intended to improve tagging quality and reduce tagging for the
renderer. The particular list is of course open to continuous
discussion. As concrete example barrier=line is going to be removed from
the rendering, which is in my opinion clearly a case of tagging for the
renderer. Personally, I'm not opposed to mapping of sports field
markings (the maintainers of osm-carto may have other opinions). Maybe a
better tagging scheme can be devised for that.

nebulon42