[OSM-talk] Fixing Starbucks Wikipedia Tags (Was Nominatim Weakness)

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 22 06:35:47 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-21 23:16, Paul Norman wrote:
> On 1/21/2016 1:44 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
>
>> When we are done cleaning up Starbucks, we'll still have at least one
>> Starbucks with a wikipedia link, the original store
>
> But this won't be a link to the Starbucks article, but instead the
> specific one on that notable store.
>
>> I still believe that Nominatim should give back results based on bbox
>> regardless of wikipedia for certain features. In this case,
>> amenity=cafe.
>
> If you want results only within a bounding box, set that parameter
> when querying Nominatim. See
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim#Parameters for
> documentation on Nominatim, or as an example,
>
> -
> http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?format=xml&bounded=1&viewbox=-123.1%2C50.2%2C-122.7%2C50.1&q=Starbucks
> for a query with few results and
> -
> http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?format=xml&bounded=1&viewbox=-123.1%2C55.2%2C-122.7%2C55.1&q=Starbucks
> for a query with no results.

How do I enter that on the OSM map page? I can search for "Burger King,
Netherlands", but the results returned look to me randomly sorted.
An option "near location" would be so enourmously wonderful. And then
not "only in boundingbox", but showing nearest results first and distant
results last.
And that is what I would expect as default from a search on a map when I
enter a location.

Regards,
Maarten