[OSM-talk] Automated edits code of conduct

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Sun Jul 10 22:08:01 UTC 2016

Hi Éric,

Am 10.07.2016 um 23:26 schrieb Éric Gillet:
> OSM contributions must follow the Contributor Terms
> <http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Contributor_Terms>; these
> therms are being shown to new users and they must explicitely accept them
> before they can start contributing.
>
> However, another distinct set of rules is also being enforced by the DWG :
> the Automated edits code of conduct
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct>
>  (AECoC).
>
> In contrary to the Contributor Terms, these rules :
>
>    - Are not shown to new contributors

It is shown to new contributors, not directly but they get informed. If
you create an account, you will see a welcome page after clicking on the
confirmation link which you get via email. This page explains basic
things like the data model (node, way, relation) and says that there are
special rules for imports and mechanical edits.

>    - Are not accepted by new or existing contributors
>    - Doesn't seem to have been voted on before their "establishment"

There are dozens of other rules which have neither been voted nor being
accepted by every contributor. Just have a look at Good_Practice at OSM
wiki. None of those items has been voted. They are basic rules.

The Contributor Terms are a replacement for the former CC-BY-SA license
all contributors granted (to everyone directly). Nowadays OSMF
"collects" all these rights using a contract called Contributor Terms.

>    - Seems to have been written by an eminent, but small set of
>    contributors (history
>    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct&offset=&limit=500&action=history>
>    )

Did you have a look at the mailing list archives of the time when this
policy was written (+-6 months)?

Both Import Guidelines and Automated Edits Code of Conduct are
guidelines which will reduce the likelihood that your import/mechanical
edit gets reverted.

We don't have a Don't Delete Everything Policy. Nevertheless, we revert
vandalism (if we discover it).

Best regards

Michael