[OSM-talk] Automated edits code of conduct

Éric Gillet gill3t.3ric+osm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 23:58:59 UTC 2016

Hi Michael,

> Hi Éric,
>
> Am 10.07.2016 um 23:26 schrieb Éric Gillet:
> > In contrary to the Contributor Terms, these rules :
> >    - Are not shown to new contributors
>
> It is shown to new contributors, not directly but they get informed. If
> you create an account, you will see a welcome page after clicking on the
> confirmation link which you get via email. This page explains basic
> things like the data model (node, way, relation) and says that there are
> special rules for imports and mechanical edits.

You're right, I just noticed that they indeed are, but a lot less
prominently as the Contributor Terms (and doesn't require acceptance)

> >    - Are not accepted by new or existing contributors
> >    - Doesn't seem to have been voted on before their "establishment"
>
> There are dozens of other rules which have neither been voted nor being
> accepted by every contributor. Just have a look at Good_Practice at OSM
> wiki. None of those items has been voted. They are basic rules.

Of course, however those rules are not enforced by the DWG.

> The Contributor Terms are a replacement for the former CC-BY-SA license
> all contributors granted (to everyone directly). Nowadays OSMF
> "collects" all these rights using a contract called Contributor Terms.
>
> >    - Seems to have been written by an eminent, but small set of
> >    contributors (history
> >    <
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct&offset=&limit=500&action=history
> >
> >    )
>
> Did you have a look at the mailing list archives of the time when this
> policy was written (+-6 months)?

I believe that just like the tagging process, the discussion leading to the
establishment of those rules should be open and not require digging through
an 8 years-old mailing list.

> Both Import Guidelines and Automated Edits Code of Conduct are
> guidelines which will reduce the likelihood that your import/mechanical
> edit gets reverted.

This is only the stated goal of the AE CoC. Following that wiki page means
that the changeset can't be reversed on basis of this wiki page, no more.
I think  that this page should encourage mapping good data ©, not be as
broad as possible in order to become a justification when someone want to
revert a changeset.

> We don't have a Don't Delete Everything Policy. Nevertheless, we revert
> vandalism (if we discover it).

But what is vandalism ?