[OSM-talk] Automated edits code of conduct

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Jul 11 08:35:42 UTC 2016

√Čric Gillet wrote:
> In contrary to the Contributor Terms, these rules :
> - Doesn't seem to have been voted on before their "establishment"

The Code of Conduct is a document enforced and revised by DWG, with the
intention of codifying long-standing principles in OSM (principally,
"respect the work of others").

DWG is a committee of the elected OSMF. If you don't like it, you can vote
for directors on OSMF who share your viewpoint, who can then vote to
instruct DWG accordingly.

This is called representative democracy. The alternative is direct
democracy, where fundamental policies are put to a vote (or "referendum")
among an ill-informed, over-emotive, easily stirred-up population. This is a
really, really bad idea. Trust me on that one. :(

Richard