[OSM-talk] Automated edits code of conduct

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon Jul 11 09:18:59 UTC 2016

On Monday 11 July 2016, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> DWG is a committee of the elected OSMF. If you don't like it, you can
> vote for directors on OSMF who share your viewpoint, who can then
> vote to instruct DWG accordingly.
>
> This is called representative democracy. The alternative is direct
> democracy, where fundamental policies are put to a vote (or
> "referendum") among an ill-informed, over-emotive, easily stirred-up
> population. This is a really, really bad idea. Trust me on that one.
> :(

I'd be somewhat careful here, the OSMF is not really democratic in a
strict sense (it lacks the typical division into executive and
legislative bodies for example) and due to the extremely small size of
the OSMF membership (a few hundred) compared to the size of the active
OSM community as a whole (25k every month) it is also not really
representative.

This of course does not mean a direct vote of some sort on things (see
the tag voting process) would be any more representative.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/