[OSM-talk] Fwd: Automated edits code of conduct

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 14:13:01 UTC 2016

>yes, armchair mapping generally bears the risk of misinterpreting the
actual situation, (depending on what kind of tags you use this can be more
or less important).
Doing it in search and replace fashion is slightly different though, as you
risk falsifying  information someone else has meticulously surveyed
(assuming that armchair mapping is mostly about the addition of new stuff).

and then you get the situation in Africa with HOT, new mappers less than 24
hours old, marking a tile done in HOT using tags which have extremely low
usage in taginfo and are not the recommended tags for the project or area.
It is tempting to do a search and replace for highway=pedestrian on the
mapper and replace it with highway=path the recommended value in the
African Highway wiki.  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa

I agree mapping done on the ground by locals is best.

Cheerio John