[OSM-talk] Fwd: Automated edits code of conduct

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 21:47:45 UTC 2016

> sent from a phone
>
>> Il giorno 11 lug 2016, alle ore 14:01, √Čric Gillet <gill3t.3ric+osm at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>>
>> I agree that survey are that on-premise survey is the best review method. But then you are adressing armchair mapping as a whole and not specifically search-and-replace edits.
>
> yes, armchair mapping generally bears the risk of misinterpreting the actual situation, (depending on what kind of tags you use this can be more or less important).
> Doing it in search and replace fashion is slightly different though, as you risk falsifying  information someone else has meticulously surveyed (assuming that armchair mapping is mostly about the addition of new stuff).

Not necessarily. For example;

Search sport=football

Replace with sport=soccer, rugby or whatever is seen there by satellite imagery

OR

Search sport=multi

Add sport=soccer;multi or sport=tennis;multi or whatever is seen with satellite imagery.

As each change/addition is manually sighted armchair fashion and adds better detail I see this as an improvement over what was originally tagged.
I also view it as not a mechanical edit as each feature must be 'looked at' (admittedly using satellite imagery) individually.