[OSM-talk] Open Location Code should we support it?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 19:47:23 UTC 2016

On 11/07/16 19:43, john whelan wrote:
> True but suite 201 followed by the location code should do the trick.  I
> was thinking not so much of sending mail in the UK so much as providing
> something fairly basic to countries in Africa etc. and even in the UK I
> would at least provide a location.

The use of the Open Location Code as an alternative to a postcode by
adding a building identify is exactly against what it was designed for,
but there is no reason that one can't directly use the latitude and
longitude anyway, encoding them to a short form if you want. Any
'recoding system' for the physical location can be used to display the
raw numbers? But for readability, just as OLC does, one uses the town
and country and simply provide a GPS location limited to that area. A
bit like 'national grid' in the UK

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL