[OSM-talk] What3words

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jul 12 20:44:32 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Frank Villaro-Dixon <
frank at villaro-dixon.eu> wrote:

> More importantly, the system is completely "brain-inefficient". If
> everybody adopted this system you would then have to remember all the codes
> for all the places whereas of now you don't need to. Your brain only
> remembers the road and then a number for each house.

It gets worse:  Which *language* of W3W are you using and which one do the
locals at that place know?  Now it's what six words, English and Mongolian,
right?  But now Wang Wu has a box of widgets he needs to send there, and I
don't have an ear for it so he could be Mandarin or Cantonese.  What twelve
words?  But then they've enlisted Juan Pelotes and plan on flying him in
from Argentina to put the whole project together.  What fifteen words.
Good luck getting a common match between any of them to describe the same
spot.

The way I see it, it takes a simple problem and tries to make it simpler,
but at the same time, as soon as you start talking about a situation in
which language commonality is not a given, the whole thing makes you
understand the simple elegance of latitude and longitude, particularly in
decimal form.