[OSM-talk] Automated edits code of conduct

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 03:36:47 UTC 2016

> On 12/07/2016 09:53, Christoph Hormann wrote:
>> I would suggest to look at things more in terms of consistency - OSM is
>> all about local knowledge and mappers mapping their day-to-day
>> environment.  It is inconsistent with this aim to allow others to mess
>> around in this local mapping through automated edits without looking at
>> individual features one by one.
>
> Automated edits should also have a place. For thing like pure tagging
> errors:
>   - URLs lacking "https://" prefix
>   - leading and trailing spaces in names
>   - common, obvious and non ambiguous typos
> The error probability is almost null (error in script or typo?)

When I searched for typos and leading and trailing spaces in my area,
I found lots of unrelated wrong things. For example, many objects with
trailing spaces in the names were "my house is here" nodes. Or roads
including the name of the political administration that was around
when the road was built (typical political bullshit that appears in
signs sometimes, but it's *not* the name of the road).

Checking them one by one was a great idea.

--
Nicolás