[OSM-talk] What pointing device you use for mapping?

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Wed Jul 13 06:34:24 UTC 2016

I also noticed that often moderately priced items are more reliable than
high-end expensive ones. Probably because they are more widespread, and
consequently deficiencies in design are noticed, reported, and corrected
faster. The Nexus Silent Mouse costs about 20 USD. I got so accustomed
to a soundless mouse that I cannot use normal mice anymore, and not only
for mapping, each click sounds to me as a gunshot. That is why I keep a
spare one ready. But I work sometimes in a library where it is very quiet.

I also received an e-mail where it is written that a graphics tablet is
being used for mapping by a correspondent's acquaintance; that a
graphics tablet is really precise, helps to map quicker, and that it is
so convenient that it is impossible to map without it. And that a
graphics tablet must be with a zoom control.

If such a graphics tablet increases productivity by say twenty or even
ten percent, then it makes sense to invest in it. Because our working
time costs much more in the long run. It would be interesting to hear
from someone who has got firsthand experience of using a specific model
of a graphics tablet for mapping.

Best regards,
Oleksiy