[OSM-talk] What pointing device you use for mapping?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 10:26:17 UTC 2016

I have not used a graphics tablet .. yet. They are popular with graphic artist I believe.

However I have used a fair few track balls, mice and touch pads.

Touch pads have gotten better over time, their buttons though do ware out rapidly!

Mice .. very much second choice to a good track ball.

The best track ball I have used was some 80 mm diameter, metal with a fair amount of inertia.
It had very fine control .. yet could be rapidly spun in any direction to get to far parts quickly (requiring a number of complete revolutions),
  rapidly stopped and fine control regained .. all by the use of a single finger or thumb. Unfortunately that was part of a system ... not a single computer and not obtainable with reasonable money.

So I use a logitech M570, the ball lacks the inertial and fine control of the better one.
But I find it acceptable, particularly if you suffer any form of repetitive strain injury to the wrists.
There are 5 'buttons' .. one of which is a wheel thingy too. Each function is customisable, possibly to each program/app in use.
The previous model was connected by a USB cable, unfortunately no longer available. The new model has a USB dongle that wirelessly connects to the track ball.