[OSM-talk] Can we utilise the popularity of Pokémon Go for OSM?

Svavar Kjarrval svavar at kjarrval.is
Thu Jul 14 11:46:28 UTC 2016

Hi.

Now that Pokémon Go[1] is gaining popularity, people in general will
spend more time outside walking around with their phone in hand (and
some with mobile USB chargers). I'm wondering if there might be
opportunities for OpenStreetMap to utilise that activity to encourage
the gamers to collect (non-infringing) data for OSM while they're
playing the game anyway.

I'm not claiming I have any specific ideas at this point. Just wanted to
bring this point forward.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Go

With regards,
Svavar Kjarrval