[OSM-talk] Can we utilise the popularity of Pokémon Go for OSM?

Barry Hunter barry at barryhunter.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 12:01:38 UTC 2016

Maybe a mobile app, could be running in the background. It checks the
current status of the local area in OSM, and pops up a notification if the
there are problems*.

Things like
* There doesnt seem to be many features mapped in the local area, does*
this map* match what you see around you?
* This area was last updated over 2 years ago, please compare *this map*,
and see if it matches what you see around you.
* Someone made a *note *nearby, are you available to check it out?

Where 'this map' is a link to a map of the local area. Would possibly need
a bit of an AI, to avoid over 'nagging' the user. Tries a few trial
notifications, if the user responces, show more. If not show less. Adapts
to the user activity.

On 14 July 2016 at 12:46, Svavar Kjarrval <svavar at kjarrval.is> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Now that Pokémon Go[1] is gaining popularity, people in general will
> spend more time outside walking around with their phone in hand (and
> some with mobile USB chargers). I'm wondering if there might be
> opportunities for OpenStreetMap to utilise that activity to encourage
> the gamers to collect (non-infringing) data for OSM while they're
> playing the game anyway.
>
> I'm not claiming I have any specific ideas at this point. Just wanted to
> bring this point forward.
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Go
>
> With regards,
> Svavar Kjarrval