[OSM-talk] Mapping Klong Toey Slums

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Thu Jul 14 15:15:03 UTC 2016

A funny and cheap alternative method to trace the narrow alleys and have good coordinates of POI's in the alleys : A small GPS tracker attached to a Balloon. You probably just have to assure to keep the balloon over the roofs both to have a good gps signal and to protect the balloon.

You coul try to have a small gps attached to a balloon with a good rope and protected in a plastic bottle. It would then be possible to walk in the alleys, take notes, use Field Paper drawings+notes and take pictures (mappillary or other) + time. Coming back you can compare the various notes / sketch / pictures and the traces using time.

You just need to be carefull to synchronize time on GPS and other units. There are softwares to correct images coordinates with gps traces.
See http://www.aprs.org/balloons.html
http://www.aprs.org/balloon-n8pk.html

Pierre