[OSM-talk] Mapping Klong Toey Slums

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 21:06:27 UTC 2016

> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to feedback from the community for our effort to map the slums
> in Klong Toey, Bangkok. The size of the area is about 1km x 2 km around here
> and I have captured a sequence on Mapillay here. There are several
> challenges here including access to internet and English literacy, so I have
> come up with the following rough plan.
>
> 1. Put out a call for volunteers, work with NGOs in the area to find local
> kids who are interested in putting their community on the map.
> 2. Train the kids in using ID editor. I think I will limit them to doing
> specific things i.e. walkways, houses, trees, restaurant, convenience stores
> with individual kids limited to 2-3 features to avoid confusion then as they
> get the hang of it, increase their repertoire.
> 3. Take over a local internet cafe for a day for training and mapping
> purpose.
>
> Now I'm not sure about the rest of the process, you can see from Mapillary
> that due to the somewhat dense nature of the community, GPS is inaccurate
> and neither Bing nor Mapbox has enough of a resolution to be meaningful. So
> I have several (possibly overlapping) ideas.
>
> a) hire or borrow a drone to take aerial imagery and upload to openaerialmap
> and use that as a basemap but I'm not sure how possible it will be to see
> through the roofs.
> b) get a team of surveyor students from Prof. Garavig to map out the paths
> in the community (it's pretty big so I'm not sure how tine consuming it is)
> then have the community kids fill in the blank.
> c) use walking papers and have the kids go out, sketching what they see from
> the rooftop but I feel this may be prone to errors.
>
> Does anyone have any experience or tips they can share on how we can achieve
> this?
>
> Best regards
> Mishari

FWIW, if you and your volunteers take tons of pictures for Mapillary
and the Internet connection isn't good enough to upload them, you can
physically mail them a hard disk. Or have them mail you a hard disk
and you fill it with photos and ship it back. They have done it before
for special situations like this.

Let me know if you're interested in that.

--
Nicolás
with my Mapillary ambassador hat on