[OSM-talk] Automated edits code of conduct

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:03:51 UTC 2016

On 14/07/2016 16:19, Éric Gillet wrote:
> So if the changeset correct 300 restaurants but 2 are "damaged" by the
> automated edit, would the edit be bad enough to be reverted or not be
> done in the first place ?

I'd revert it.  It's essentially the same as the "trees" example
upthread (where the mechanical editor thought incorrectly that deciduous
implied broadleaved, and vice versa).  It's easy for people processing
OSM data to say "obviously these are mistaggings; I'll assume that
people have just got it wrong".  However, going to Burkina Faso (in the
Mac Donald example) is inherantly much harder; we need to respect
someone who's actually been there.

Where there a small number of potential mistaggings the correct approach
would be to _ask the previous mapper_ or if that doesn't work _ask
someone else in the area_.  OSM provides tools that makes it really easy
to do exactly that.

You might argue "but surely if more data is corrected than damaged the
overall quality is improved?" but you'd be wrong.  It's important to
leave as much original data there as possible for downstream
processing.  I spent a good few years in the 80s and 90s arguing the
superiority of statistical approaches to data interpretation over
rule-based ones.  To cut a long story short, there's a reason why e.g.
the anti-spam measures used with email today are Bayesian (statistical)
- it works.  Don't second-guess what data consumers might need if you've
not been one.

That doesn't mean that if you see that someone has mapped an obvious
primary highway as "highway=pirmary" that you shouldn't change it - but
do always ask yourself if by "tidying up" you're actually removing
information from OSM, even if that information is "there is some doubt
as to whether the original mapper knew what they were doing".

Best Regards,

Andy