[OSM-talk] Mapping Klong Toey Slums

Liz Barry ebarry at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:18:59 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,
It is inspiring to hear of these projects in Bangkok and Cartagena! <3

Depending on the wind and when the rainy season is about to start in
Bangkok, putting a kite up in the air with a small camera could be the
fastest and most community-engaged / hands-on / accessible / repeatable way
to get aerial imagery:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-news/524907/the-kite-flying-season-in-bangkok

Once you have an aerial photo (by balloon/kite/drone/reaaaaally long bamboo
pole <https://publiclab.org/wiki/balloon-mapping>:), you can place
(georeference) it in http://mapknitter.org/, then it's one click to loading
that base imagery in any/all of OSM's editors for tracing over.

I copied the grassroots mapping list where there are people to chat with
about DIY aerial imagery for mapping.

Yours,
Liz

--