[OSM-talk] Mapping Klong Toey Slums

hyances at gmail.com hyances at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 20:42:12 UTC 2016

Yes, ballons and kites is a good community-engaged method; in my particular
case we face problems with the public-lab-ballon-kit because irregular
power poles/wires at a low height, plus some wind present during the
activity, so it wasn't possible (and a little insecure).  Regarding
stiching it was not so easy to deal with 89 pictures using the MapKnitter
(version 1 1/2 years ago), so by the moment aerial orthophotomosaics
software seems to be the option. Another point regarding ballons is the
cost of the helium.

About security (and mobile apps) you should consider to create a previous
relationship with the community, so start with workshops or other
activities.  In my particualr case for the replication in other slums in
Colombia, the conclution to my proposal was "not recommended".  If your
focus is catastral, ultra-high-res aerial imagery is the better way, mobile
apps can create ancyllary pictures, very useful indeed
<https://hotosm.org/updates/2016-07-27_introducing_the_mapillary_humanitarian_mapping_kit_in_partnership_with_hot>.