[OSM-talk] highway=crossing tags removed in changeset.

Alejandro S. alejandroscf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 00:04:04 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016, 08:20 Greg Morgan <dr.kludge.gm en gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Alejandro S. <alejandroscf en gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Looks like somebody making automated edits without checking by survey
> what
> > they are doing...
> >
> > I think it should be reverted.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >   Alejandro Suárez
>
> Alejandro,
>
> Did you even read the change history of any nodes such as node
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/729984457/history or consult the
> tagging page on the subject before you making the allegation that this
> was an automated edit?
> "crossing=no Where definitely no crossing is possible/legal. This tag
> must be used without a highway=crossing, so data consumers only
> evaluating the high-level highway tag are not mislead into assuming a
> crossing here.
> As crossing=no excludes the existence of a crossing, the combination
> of highway=crossing and crossing=no is invalid.
> Thus, if there is a place where one would expect a crossing but where
> is definitely no crossing, you may tag this with crossing=no but
> without highway=crossing.
>
> It is obvious from the history and experience with Josm's noisy
> validator that his is not an automated edit.   Wynndale was merely map
> gardening.  The obvious change for this node is highway=crossing and
> crossing=unmarked.  I say that because of the two lane looking cycle
> way that crosses the road.  crossing=no may have been UniEagle's
> attempt at crossing=unmarked.
> 1.) Edit 1 5/11/2010 NaN135709 adds the node at the crossing.
> 2.) Edits 2 to 5 from 6/29/2011 to 4/22/2014 all have the missing
> crossing information.
> 3.) Finally on edit 6 on 4/22/14 roughly four hours after edit 5
> UniEagle adds highway=crossing and crossing=no.  And when we look at
> the wiki diff history, we can defend UniEagle's decision because there
> wasn't much information at the time.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key%3Acrossing&type=revision&diff=1012147&oldid=963951
> 4.) Edit 7, the edit under dispute, Wynndale removes the
> highway=crossing tag following the first sentence of the wiki page and
> the rest of the paragraph.
>
> The better option follows on the next sentence of wiki:
> "crossing=unmarked A crossing without road markings or traffic lights"
>
> So how about coaching the mapper verses reverting the changeset or
> making an allegation. Even the original tagging is wrong.  Why would
> you want to revert a change that is right based on the wiki to
> something that is wrong to begin with?  How about clarifying the wiki
> page before accusing someone of an automated edit?  How about let's
> congratulate Wynndale on a brave attempt at map gardening in such a
> hostile environment?
>
> Regards,
> Greg

I'm sorry about the first comment, I didn't checked the wiki before
commenting and I wasn't aware of the "editing war" there.

On the other hand, I think this "map gardening" across the half of UK
without local knowledge it isn't the best way to improve map quality. Maybe
it's better not to start doing that kind of map gardening until the wiki is
clear?

Best regards,
Alejandro