[OSM-talk] highway=crossing tags removed in changeset.

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:01:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 5:38 AM, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 16/07/2016 07:20, Greg Morgan wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Alejandro S. <alejandroscf at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Looks like somebody making automated edits without checking by survey
>>> what
>>> they are doing...
>>>
>>> I think it should be reverted.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>    Alejandro Suárez
>>

>> 4.) Edit 7, the edit under dispute, Wynndale removes the
>> highway=crossing tag following the first sentence of the wiki page and
>> the rest of the paragraph.
>>

> I think you're putting to much importance on the wiki & not enough about
> what's on the ground.
> Wynndale to an incorrect tag & made it worse (to correct it the removed tag
> would have to be re-added & then crossing=no removed.
>
> The geographic spread strongly implies he didn't have local knowledge for
> them all.
>
>> So how about coaching the mapper verses reverting the changeset or
>> making an allegation.
>

> He's made over 1400 edits since 2009.
>
>>   Even the original tagging is wrong.
>

> Two wrongs don't make a right.

And yet you persist at your war.

>> Why would
>> you want to revert a change that is right based on the wiki to
>> something that is wrong to begin with?
>

> Because it's wrong with what's in the real world. I'm proposing to revert
> this changeset & then ask on Talk-gb if those local to the amendments can
> clarify what is the correct tagging to use.

NO!  I am putting the emphasis on the bullying that is going on in the
community under the guise of correctness.  You took it upon yourself
to allege an automated edit in the talk on the change set.  Now you
brought your war here.  You want to roll back someone's work just
because you think you are right yet you cannot say that you have
surveyed the ground either.  That's my objection!  We are an open
source project that should be building on each other's work.  I agree
that the tagging is wrong in the original and the change.  I disagree
with how you are handling the situation.  The better way forward is
not a revert the change but to change the tagging to highway=crossing;
crossing=unmarked; FIXME=Please adjust this crossing by adding other
tags or changing the crossing tag.