[OSM-talk] Uber most likely using OSM data

Tim Waters chippy2005 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 11:54:25 UTC 2016

Hello,

given they may well have a very large body of GPS traces, they may be
using these to route along.

The way to check if they are using OSM is if the OSM map has
intentional errors - a kink in the road where there is none on aerial
imagery or on our GPS traces, for example.  Some of my early edits
were done just by phone and a bluetooth GPS mouse - in the days before
aerial imagery, and some of the roads had a few bends which were not
there in reality, and this assisted me in identifying some of the
previous users of our database.

Another way is perhaps by comparing the resolution of the data, a bit
like in the examples, showing where the bends meet up - comparing a
road with lots of bends, nodes in a short distance. Seeing if the
vertices match up.

Cheers,

Tim.