[OSM-talk] Failed water proposal reversal

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 15:30:50 UTC 2016

>> > Il giorno 20 giu 2016, alle ore 12:04, Tomas Straupis <tomasstraupis at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>> >
>> >  My main point is to get back to reservoir/basin being tagged as "landuse"
>
> why would that be desirable? Basically landuse is a property of land, and generally it's not very clear how to apply (it depends on the scale, and our db doesn't have a scale). As opposed to this, mapping a reservoir or a basin as a feature is much clearer, you don't have to worry whether you include auxiliary stuff like the service road leading to the reservoir, or the non-water-storage but legally associated areas around it to the feature (you won't).

The simple fact is that there is not a consistent structure for
identifying 'landcover' on OSM and even natural=wood and landuse=forest
make it difficult to decide what is naturally occurring and what is man
made. landuse=reservoir is a lot more practical where at times of the
year the majority of the surface area is exposed. That is a totally man
made situation for which 'natural' does not apply. And when moving onto
areas like marinas which take several forms including basins on the
waterway system, including land elements as 'retail' or 'residential'
and water elements as waterway tags as part of the Relation:waterway.
But the overall area's landuse is marina even if we currently tag it as
leisure=marina without any agreement as to just what area that should cover.

It's the insistence that water only applies to natural elements which
just does not fit properly, and man_made=reservoir while much more
accurate does not fit in with a consistent landcover/landuse overlay?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL