[OSM-talk] Settlements -- WAS iD news: v1.9.6 released

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 09:32:34 UTC 2016

(replying to talk because you wrote in English so I suppose it was meant to
be public)

> ACK. This is a definition (in German) I'd agree with: Siedlungsformen:
> Art, Zahl und räumliche Anordnung menschlicher Behausungen (kinds of
> settlement: kind, number and areal arrangement of human dwellings).

yes, although I believe this points more into a detailed view on settlement
shape, like "Straßenangerdorf", "Streusiedlung", "Ringdorf", etc. i.e
.typological classes of settlements according to their development and
shape / spatial organization.

Also a single farm (ein alleinstehender Einzelhof) is one kind of
> settlement (and often has a name, BTW). And of the group settlements
> (Gruppensiedlungen: Einschicht, Weiler, Rotte, Dorf, Markt und Stadt)
> there are different kinds, some of which are explicitely *not* densely
> populated (Einschicht, Weiler, Rotte). See
> http://www.aeiou.at/aeiou.encyclop.s/s567496.htm for kinds of settlements
> (in German).

whether a single farm is a kind of settlement (so called "Einzelsiedlung")
is a question of definition or theory, it doesn't really matter for us, in
OSM it makes sense to provide a place value for them.

> And to me there also is a difference: a settlement's extent isn't defined
> per se. It can be a group of houses and generally it is countable what
> houses belong to that settlement. But this doesn't define what
> fields/land/acres are/is included. In contrast, an "administrative
> territorial entity" (Verwaltungseinheit) solely defines the land it
> includes.

I wouldn't include fields, at least not those that are on the "outside" of
the settlement, while those enclosed by buildings typically could be
included. You'd likely have to decide on a case by case basis, where
context (like the above mentioned settlement typologies matter). In the
case of sparse settlements, finding an outline might be hard or impossible,
but fortunately in the areas I map, this is almost never an issue ;-)

Cheers,
Martin

PS:
For more examples, have a look here:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:Dorfform
and here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:Stadtform (particularly
in the case of cities, these are often idealized concepts, and in reality
you will find mixed forms, because the ideals changed before "completion"
of the original plan, or because they have been transformed later to
compensate for problems they didn't foresee and/or to "modernize" the city,
still those concepts typically can still be seen).

One famous example for an idealized city shape where you can perfectly
observe the original plan is Karlsruhe, a city founded 300 years ago as
planned community (baroque style):
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlsruhe#/media/File:Karlsruher_Stadtansicht.jpg
vs: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/49.0139/8.4055