[OSM-talk] Guides to improve navigation data in OpenStreetMap

Johan C osmned at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 23:39:59 UTC 2016

Hi Abhishek

1. I think it's good to have a guide. But I'm familiar with discussions
through the standard OSM ways (Wiki pages, Diaries). I find GitHub not
easily accessible. Also, the danger exists that discussions are finished on
GitHub leading to changes in the guide, however omitting changes on the
Wiki pages. I think I would prefer to have a single point of discussion in
the standard OSM way. A possibility is this page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Lane_assist&action=edit&redlink=1

2. Shortly after Imagic launched the lanes suffix I helped improving some
issues. However, I always missed professional input since I think inventing
a good mapping scheme for supporting a lane assist is extremely complex.
Telenav had a bit of a discussion two years ago, that was it. I think it's
good to have Mapbox involved, but where are companies like TeleNav,
GeneralMagic and NavMii in this discussion?

3. One of the difficult topics is a situation involving two junctions.
Though I like the KISS way of the :lane suffix (avoiding a relation), in
case of two junctions a relation might be unavoidable, like in this
situation:
http://map.project-osrm.org/?z=18&center=51.896213%2C4.540266&loc=51.896370%2C4.539505&loc=51.896218%2C4.541039&hl=en&ly=&alt=&df=&srv=
Yep, the lane assist should help the driver by showing the left lane at the
starting point. Don't know how to tag it

4. The lack of involvement of companies building navigational apps might
not help getting OSM apps to the standard of apps like TomTom. In this
situation:
http://map.project-osrm.org/?z=16&center=51.944695%2C4.532418&loc=51.934661%2C4.536710&loc=51.946632%2C4.508986&hl=en&ly=&alt=&df=&srv=
MagicEarth does not show any lane assistance. It probably thinks this huge
intersection is a normal highway with a normal motorway exit, which should
not be showing up. I don't know if its a programming error or a case where
we need an extra tag like: lane_assist=yes, thus helping the router to
always display the lane assist.

5. A further topic might be the definition of the lanes tag, see this diary
entry: http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/imagic/diary/28309

Cherio, Johan