[OSM-talk] Guides to improve navigation data in OpenStreetMap

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Mar 12 20:43:24 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
> wrote:

> El 12 mar 2016, a las 04:18, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> escribió:
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Janko Mihelic <janko.mihelic at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> pet, 11. ožu 2016. 21:00 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> je
>> napisao:
>>

>>> what about the pavement/sidewalk, shall it be included? If yes, what is
>>> a lane there, e.g. when there are (partially) physical separations?
>>>

>> No,  I wouldn't include sidewalks. You could argue that sidewalks are
>> just another lane, but there is a difference. The moment you step on a
>> street, you are following rules of a game. Everyone on the street should
>> know about each other, and act accordingly.
>> Sidewalks are a different story, you can stop and chat there, there are
>> no rules.
>>
>> So even if there are no physical separations, I would never include a
>> sidewalk in the lane scheme of a road (except with the sidewalk=*
>> attribute).
>>

> I'm not a fan of the sidewalk tag on the centerline way; just map the
> footways.
>

> I see it as simplified tagging. In Buenos Aires almost every road has
> sidewalks, and I'm surely not going to draw them all as separate ways.
> Adding the sidewalk tag is much easier. I would go as far as saying I would
> assume sidewalk=both unless specified otherwise!

I wouldn't.  I'm going out on a long-ass limb here, but I'm guessing that
rural highways, country roads, mountain roads, alleyways, parking aisles,
driveways, and the vast majority of ways that lack a hard surface aren't
going to have sidewalks of any kind at all.  And this would account for the
overwhelming majority of roads.  Educated guess based on the American
Rockies alone.