[OSM-talk] Which type of highways are used by routing software?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 22:40:06 UTC 2016

Obviously if I select bicycle it won't use motorway or footway but in
general which highway types are used?

Highway=road is avoided by some as it is the original temporary highway
type for a GPS track when you don't know if its a motorway or
highway=footway with steps but what about highway=track?

The question arises as there are a lot of highways in Africa that look
quite major to me that are labelled highway=track and I wondered if they
would be considered by routing software.  I am aware that each bit of
software is different and yes I am aware of the African highway wiki here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa which has definite
guidelines about what a track is but can we come up with what is used?

Many Thanks

Cheerio John