[OSM-talk] Which type of highways are used by routing software?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 08:00:38 UTC 2016

On 02/11/16 00:57, john whelan wrote:
> If OSMand etc treat them differently then we may not be showing the
> shortest route.

OSMAnd currently does not use the best routes in any rural area! While
the roads even in the UK may be 'unclassified', in many rural areas they
are the main routes and I have asked before how this 'bug' can be fixed.
Reclassifying the road is obviously wrong, but similarly changing the
routing rules is wrong for other parts of the world, so it's not just a
case of which routes are used, it's how the bias is applied to those
routes ... and currently OSMAnd is simply wrong for the UK!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL