[OSM-talk] Which type of highways are used by routing software?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 00:57:09 UTC 2016

> Mappers need to tag the truth, how it renders should not be a
consideration for mappers.
That would be 'ideal', realism strikes and there is a need for rendering
the truth is a way that rewards that truth.

But we are talking armchair mappers in Africa for the most part often ones
who have never mapped before.  Can we give them some guidance?  Do we care
if major highways are mapped as tracks?

I think my question is what is the impact.  If the routing software treats
highway=track the same as highway=unclassified then apart from looking
pretty there isn't a problem.  If OSMand etc treat them differently then we
may not be showing the shortest route.

The changeset approach is fine but I don't think its appropriate in the
face of thousands of these in Africa when if you look at the individual
they often joined OSM 9 months ago, made eight change-sets and haven't
mapped for the last 8 months.

The question is do we have a problem?

The second follow up question might be what do we do about it?  It could
just be a matter of something in learn OSM or something else.

Cheerio John