[OSM-talk] Which type of highways are used by routing software?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Nov 2 09:16:53 UTC 2016

MichaƂ Brzozowski wrote:
> The rules for routing appear to be mostly global for popular
> routers. There is very little magical sauce, if any.

I wouldn't say that. Obviously the demo instances for OSRM and GraphHopper
use their own vanilla profiles, but other routers very often have customised
profiles/rules. My own http://cycle.travel/map has a completely different,
much more complex profile than the standard OSRM bicycle profile, for
example.

John Whelan wrote:
> Obviously if I select bicycle it won't use motorway or
> footway but in general which highway types are used?

cycle.travel _does_ actually route over motorways and footways if
bicycle=yes tags are set. Many motorways in the US permit bikes (on the hard
shoulder); it's not uncommon to see a shared-use path in the UK tagged as
highway=footway, bicycle=yes; and a short distance pushing on a
highway=footway can often provide a good route. For highway=track, I treat
it differently for different countries: for example, in the UK I don't route
over highway=track unless access tags suggest it's permitted. cycle.travel
doesn't currently cover Africa and I have no plans to do so, but if it did I
would probably route over highway=track there.

Richard