[OSM-talk] Which type of highways are used by routing software?

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 2 12:19:21 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-02 12:17, Lester Caine wrote:
> On 02/11/16 11:04, Milo van der Linden wrote:
>> As a devops I understand your pain ;-) but for OSRM, I found that
>> using
>> docker and staying on a fixed  docker version for OSRM makes the pain
>> lot easier.  You say you are using GPS in the car, do you also have a
>> OSRM server running in the car? And is this server docker-ready?
>> Because
>> then I would strongly suggest you follow the instructions at
>> https://hub.docker.com/r/osrm/osrm-backend/ it works like a charm for
>> me.
>
> OSMAnd can be switched to use OSRM I think, but that requires a
> reliable
> wireless broadband on the android phone, something that is becoming
> worse rather than better. Even driving down the M5 I get gaps in
> reception, so everything has to be local, which OSMAnd does a good job
> of for most things ... just not B/unclassified roads :(
>
> Docker is yet another infrastructure tool to get ones head around ...

And to name another option you could use (and have to learn): brouter.de
has an android app that can be used as routing engine for OSMAnd. You
can configure it to your liking, but I'm not entirely sure the car
routing is up to scratch. I use it for my bicycle routing.

For the rest: I share your pain about OSMAnd.

Maarten