[OSM-talk] Which type of highways are used by routing software?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 12:51:57 UTC 2016

So to sum up there are router solutions that are flexible enough to be
configured with what is in the map except for walking across a pedestrian
polygon so highways=track isn't a problem to them.  Cycling across a car
park doesn't seem to work either by the way.

We have a desperate need for knowledgable mappers on local road conditions
in Africa preferably locals on the grounds that they know the local
conditions best and hopefully over time they can clean up the map and retag
highways to an appropriate  tag.  Hopefully they can add a few cafes with
internet access as they go.

LearnOSM does include a reference to the African highway wiki entry so the
information is available in five languages all we need is mappers who read
instructions before mapping but that is a generic problem.

Thank you all for the input.

Cheerio John