[OSM-talk] Use policies update

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Nov 5 10:41:30 UTC 2016

On Saturday 05 November 2016, Simon Poole wrote:

> Further I've added an recommendation to the "Tile usage policy" (
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy ) to include a
> suitable link to the "fixthemap" page.

By the way in the tile usage policy the attribution requirement could be
clearer.  Since the tiles are licensed as CC-BY-SA it would normally be
required to also state this in the attribution in addition to the
data/ODbL attribution though most tile users seem to assume that the
normal "© OpenStreetMap contributors" attribution with link is
sufficient.

IMO it would probably not hurt if users of the osm.org tiles would need
to give credits beyond the basic ODbL attribution because they are not
only using the free data but also a costly free tile rendering service.

Not sure what the best form would be for that but something like "using
free tile services from osm.org" + a donation link would not seem
inappropriate to me.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/