[OSM-talk] Use policies update

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Nov 5 14:26:33 UTC 2016

Am 05.11.2016 um 11:41 schrieb Christoph Hormann:

> By the way in the tile usage policy the attribution requirement could be
> clearer.  Since the tiles are licensed as CC-BY-SA it would normally be
> required to also state this in the attribution in addition to the
> data/ODbL attribution though most tile users seem to assume that the
> normal "© OpenStreetMap contributors" attribution with link is
> sufficient.
>
> IMO it would probably not hurt if users of the osm.org tiles would need
> to give credits beyond the basic ODbL attribution because they are not
> only using the free data but also a costly free tile rendering service.
>
> Not sure what the best form would be for that but something like "using
> free tile services from osm.org" + a donation link would not seem
> inappropriate to me.
While I wouldn't disagree, such changes were out of scope for these
changes. As I mentioned at SOTM there is no real rationale these days
for the CC by-SA licence and we should probably be looking at that too
(through given the current discussion maybe we should be looking at an
even more problematic licence to make things more complicated for users
:-)).

Simon