[OSM-talk] introducing localities in wikipedia

Stefano sabas88 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 14:28:41 UTC 2016

> I just discovered the wikidata project and felt like contributing and
> adding wikidata tags to OSM objects. However, as I discovered that
> localities (such as Javerne <http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/421656183>)
> aren't mostly covered by wikipedia articles, I created a few. This led to
> all the 3 localities pages I had created being deleted by the wikipedia
> moderators.
>
> Is it like an official policy and if yes is it still worth to link
> localities to orphan wikidata objects?

Can you link to the deleted article?
Is this locality "notable" (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability)?

In my opinion it is worth to add entries to wikidata, with triples
describing them properly as you did. In the future if the object can't have
a proper article it could still have a placeholder (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ArticlePlaceholder).

But Wikidata is going to be useful to other projects other than Wikipedia.

Regards,
Stefano