[OSM-talk] introducing localities in wikipedia

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Nov 15 09:11:16 UTC 2016

On 14/11/16 15:11, RB wrote:
> I just discovered the wikidata project and felt like contributing and
> adding wikidata tags to OSM objects. However, as I discovered that
> localities (such as Javerne
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/421656183>) aren't mostly covered by
> wikipedia articles, I created a few. This led to all the 3 localities
> pages I had created being deleted by the wikipedia moderators.
>
> Is it like an official policy and if yes is it still worth to link
> localities to orphan wikidata objects?

Hi. So obviously this is really a Wikipedia issue, rather than an
OpenStreetMap issue.

But yes, IME Wikipedia does have an official "notability" policy. You
can't just put anything into Wikipedia. OSM is considerably more relaxed
in this regard. There are ways around it, like using your user sandbox
area first to flesh out the article. But it's possible that the place is
just not notable enough for Wikipedia.

Rory