[OSM-talk] addr:interpolation and data consumers

nebulon42 nebulon42 at mailbox.org
Sun Nov 20 16:47:28 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have written an address QA script for Austrian addresses. Now I'm
asked to support addr:interpolation. While the script is specific to
Austria the more general problem of addr:interpolation is not.

In my opinion addr:interpolation is of little value for data consumers.
Personally, I prefer addresses on nodes or buildings where the location
of the address is clear. addr:interpolation rather leaves this open. I
know that addr:interpolation is an established tag, but the Wiki also says:

"As long as we don't have a node or building outline for each
house(number) along a way, it's also possible to use automatic number
interpolation."
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Using_interpolation)

For me that sounds like: use it until there is something better/more
accurate. I tend to replace addr:interpolation with addresses on nodes
or buildings when I see them and more accurate data is available.

What is the opinion on addr:interpolation here?

For reference: https://github.com/gmgeo/at-address-compare/pull/1

(not on tagging to reach a more diverse audience)

nebulon42