[OSM-talk] addr:interpolation and data consumers

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sun Nov 20 17:54:59 UTC 2016

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 05:47:28PM +0100, nebulon42 wrote:
> I have written an address QA script for Austrian addresses. Now I'm
> asked to support addr:interpolation. While the script is specific to
> Austria the more general problem of addr:interpolation is not.
>
> In my opinion addr:interpolation is of little value for data consumers.
> Personally, I prefer addresses on nodes or buildings where the location
> of the address is clear. addr:interpolation rather leaves this open. I
> know that addr:interpolation is an established tag, but the Wiki also says:
>
> "As long as we don't have a node or building outline for each
> house(number) along a way, it's also possible to use automatic number
> interpolation."
> (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Using_interpolation)
>
> For me that sounds like: use it until there is something better/more
> accurate. I tend to replace addr:interpolation with addresses on nodes
> or buildings when I see them and more accurate data is available.

You have exactly the right interpretation here. Interpolation was only
intended as a way to get going quickly and easily with lots of
addresses. And it has another use: Some non-OSM data sources use a
format where a "street" has attributes giving the house number range on
the left and right side. This can be reasonable easily be transformed
into the addr:interpolation format for importing that data into OSM.

It is here like with everything in OSM: There is a trend towards more
detail. If you have more detailed information, great. If not, it is
better than nothing.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  https://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688