[OSM-talk] Looking for "primary language" map

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Apr 11 06:26:11 UTC 2017

On 11/04/17 07:08, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 11/04/17 00:35, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of an open source language map - basically a set of
>> geoshapes with the corresponding language code?  Country boundaries are
>> not needed - e.g. Canada and USA would be English with the exception of
>> French for Montreal area.
>>
>> This is needed to guesstimate what language the "name" tag is in.
>
> There's some data in CLDR for mapping countries/regions to default
> languages I think, which you could combine with shapes from OSM.

Looks like the CLDR data is only country level currently:

http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/supplemental/territory_language_information.html

with the raw XML here:

http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/supplemental/supplementalData.xml

You could identify countries that might need further investigation
though by looking for ones with multiple official languages and/or a low
percentage of users of the top language.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/