[OSM-talk] Finding duplicate cycleways

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 08:14:18 UTC 2017

> So not all of the cases are an error, but many of them.

I would like to come to a common agreement and document that
highway=cycleway on distinct geometry is preferable to having just a
cycleway=track attribute on a road. In the past some of the separate
cycleways I had mapped have been deleted in favor of attributes on the
road. The latter is an inferior representation (IMHO) because:

1. it makes it harder to add more attributes to the cycleway (including
maxspeed, surface, turn restrictions, width, access restrictions)

2. it makes it unclear or at least much more error prone to determine which
attributes of the road also belong to the cycleway (and vice versa)

3. it removes the geometric details (position, shape, unclear position of
things between (or not) the cycleway and the road like grass, guard rails,
telephone booths, poles, crossings between driveways, etc.)

Therefore I believe we should recommend that fixing duplicates as of this
thread should be done by removing the attribute cycleway=track, not
deleting the highway=cycleway.

Cheers,
Martin