[OSM-talk] Draft Trademark Policy

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Aug 4 10:48:36 UTC 2017

Am 04.08.2017 um 12:29 schrieb Christoph Hormann:

> Nominative/referential use and including 'OpenStreetMap' in the name of
> a product are not mutually exclusive.
>
> Geofabrik for example offers a product called "OpenStreetMap Data in
> Layered GIS Format" [1] - that is certainly a nominative use but at the
> same time also "sell(ing) stuff with OSM’s brand on it" as per section
> 3.4.
>
> [1] http://www.geofabrik.de/data/geofabrik-osm-gis-standard-0.7.pdf

Yes, but that isn't a conflict. IMHO GeoFabrik simply needs permission
to use the mark that way (and a further licence for "creating and using
extremely unwieldy product names that just cause trouble" :-)).

Moving the current "product name" to the description and using something
else as the name of the product would naturally remove the need for
permission.

A personal note: one of my pet peeves are the awful unimaginative,
uncreative and descriptive product and service names used in OSM-space,
while I can just barely live with community projects not doing better,
you are not going to find me making excuses for commercial entities.

Simon