[OSM-talk] Highway=trunk : harmonization between countries ?

djakk djakk djakk.djakk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 09:50:38 UTC 2017

Hello Colin,

I'm from Brittany, west part of France :)

There is an equivalent of the "autoweg" sign in France. It is also tagged
with motorroad=yes.
https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panneau_d%27indication_d%27une_route_à_accès_réglementé_en_France
<https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panneau_d%27indication_d%27une_route_%C3%A0_acc%C3%A8s_r%C3%A9glement%C3%A9_en_France>

So I was thinking using "highway=trunk" for strategic roads, not only for
motor roads, all over the world ...
For example in the Netherlands :
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/51.8977/4.2042 the N57, primary
highway between a trunk and a motorway, becomes trunk in the new tagging
system ...
An other example, each European road which is not a motorway should be
tagged as a trunk road , it is not currently the case in France :
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/42344655#map=15/46.4275/0.6306

djakk